Hospice is specialized care at end-of-life that offers help and support for people who are seeking comfort and relief of symptoms rather than curative treatment. Hospice helps individuals live out the last months, weeks and days of life as fully as possible. We serve patients in their homes, assisted living, nursing facilities, hospitals and Centra’s Hospice Houses. Hospice care extends to the family, caregivers, and friends.
Choosing hospice does not mean giving up hope. It is a change of focus to comfort, control of symptoms and quality of life. Many families say that they wish they had learned about hospice earlier to take full advantage of the services. It may not be easy to know when the time is right to consider hospice. Ask us so we can help you with eligibility and answer your questions.
Not all hospices are alike. We are locally owned, not-for-profit and have served the community for over 30 years. Our expert team includes a full-time medical director, physicians. nurse practitioners, nurses, aides, social workers/counselors, and chaplains. We are proud to be a Hospice Honors Recipient, an annual honor recognizing the hospices that continuously provide the highest level of quality as measured from the caregiver’s point of view.
Services We Provide:
· Dedicated, full-time medical director, physicians and nurse practitioners
· Regular visits by hospice nurses and aides for personal care
· 24/7 access to on-call nurses
· Medications/expert pain management and symptom control
· Medical supplies/equipment such as hospital beds and wheelchairs
· Short-term inpatient and respite care as needed
· Social work services
· Hospice Houses (Lynchburg & Bedford) provides residential, supportive care in a home-like environment.
· Chaplain services
· Bereavement services for up to one year, support groups (open to community)
· Volunteers to assist families
· Physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech/language services
· Complimentary services such as music therapy, pet therapy and massage (not available in all areas)